Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Duct Tape Use #479 - Tape knees in a backpacking emergency

Another past backpacking adventure into the Sierra's. In July 2008 we trekked along the John Muir Trail (JMT) for most of the trip. We made our way from Piute Pass (near Bishop, CA) past the North Fork of the San Joaquin River into Evolution Valley and up to Dusy Basin, and came out Bishop Pass (and almost were killed in a rock slide but that is another post).

bishoppass

For the record Bishop Pass scares the crap out of me. It is just a series of steep, narrow switchbacks cut into the mountain. With each step there is the threat of the overhanging rocks giving way.  There is even a sign that basically says "move your a$$" as you are in rockslide territory. Well it really says "Hikers should enter at their own risk and keep moving" – which means "move your a$$". This is just a section of the switchback you have to navigate your way around.

 

 

Anyways, I got side-tracked! Okay, back to my original post about duct tape, RA, and backpacking into the John Muir Wilderness.

CIMG1474-1

Yep, this is me! Athletic Tape and an ole ace bandage to support my crappy joints! Hey whatever it takes right? This pic is up near Evolution Lake. Just taking a much needed rest. My wrists are wrapped tight as they get excruciating with RA pain, but…

Yeah…Whateva!

ducktape

I know what you are thinking. "What a nice leg!" Haha. I got so many comments on my duct taped knees while hiking! I did not pack my knee braces for this trip, but I was trying to shave off ounces from my pack. I will not make that mistake again! By the way those are Montrail Hiking boots, and I LOVE them. They have the greatest heel support eva! I purchased them at REI – the greatest place to shop in the world.

CIMG1471

This makes the duct tape and wrist braces all worth it. Evolution Lake in the High Sierra's. This is in the heart of the John Muir Wilderness.  He was an amazing man and naturalist. Did you know he had memorized the entire Old Testament as a young boy? Among many of his accomplishments, was the founding of the Sierra Club and the preservation of Yosemite Valley and other wilderness areas. He considered the Sierra Nevada Mountains his home. CIMG1468-1

"The mountains are calling and I must go" – John Muir

One of my favorite places in the backcountry is Evolution Lake. I could live here all summer long. Me and the hubby stopping for a photo op. We decided to go a bit further and camp at No Name Lake…what a creative name. But there is no name on the map, so that is what we called it.

CIMG1477

Our campsite at No Name Lake. Now this is really the high country. We are way above tree line and the camp site is a little rocky, but it was still pristine and beautiful.

CIMG1493

A view looking back on our way up to Muir Pass. You can see Wanda Lake on the far right which was named after John Muir's daughter.

muirhut

The John Muir Shelter (hut) at 11,955 feet in Kings Canyon National Park was built in the 1930's to provide shelter for hikers. A young couple (I say young cuz we are like the oldest hikers in the backcountry usually!) And if I recall they were vegan. Well she was, and had packed all vegan stuff. he was dreaming about In-N-Out burgers.

Until our next Raw food, Backpacking, Arthritis adventure!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was fun looking at some of the same views you had that we saw, but the worlds were so different because of the snow melt that had occured.

John Muir is truly a Saint, and knew how to meld and become one with Nature.

RA is Wild said...

Your pictures have inspired me to take my picture-taking to a new level. Next trip, I will have a new camera and will take more photos. And you are right about John Muir-what an amazing man. He had such a love for the mountains and the wilderness.

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

Hi Judy!
Thanks for stopping by my blog....we are both raw, nature enthusiasts and we have some other similarities, too! Email me if you have some time...loveveggiesandyoga@gmail.com

xoxo

mary said...

Finally, someone else with RA that still hikes. I guess I'm not the only crazy lady out there. I am intrigued by the duct tape. Is that for protection, support or to decrease pain? RA be damned!! Onward and upward!!!

Anonymous said...

Great post,I really like it ,thank you very much.

backpacking advise