Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Raw Bread Recipe Alert! – Kale-Hemp-Onion Bread

Hey there! How is Wednesday treating ya? I have been meaning to post some raw recipes that have actually been successful! I have had quite a few bomb on me, but I have to say (as I pat myself on the back) that my raw bread recipe is pretty darn delish. I have mastered Kale-Hemp-Onion Bread. I have made it a few times and tweaked it a little (sunflower seeds for hemp seeds, to add garlic powder or not) but each time it has turned out awesome.

Trust me – this stuff is awesome! And packed with nutrition! This is a great way to use nutritional yeast to get your B12s.

You can make it as thick as you want – this is about 1/4" thick

So without further ado…the famous recipe from a newbie raw foodie:

 

Kale-Hemp-Onion Bread

  • 2 cups of torn Kale
  • 1/2 white onion semi-chopped
  • 1/2 cup Hemp Seeds (or use pepitas, sunflower – whateva you desire)
  • 1 cup ground flax seed (or Bob's Red Mill Organic Flax meal)
  • 2/3 cup Nutritional Yeast (makes this bread taste cheezy and awesome)
  • 1 tsp Himalayan Salt (or whatever salt you have…I love this pink salt)
  • 1/2 tsp Organic Black Pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Organic Garlic Powder
  • 2-3 tbsp olive oil

Now toss it all in a food processor and process til that ball starts to whip around the container. The dough will be stiff – Now spread it or pat it with your hands on a lined dehydrator tray and score it in your desired shapes. I score mine so they will fit into a quart mason jar for storage (so like 3" x 3" squares) I put my last batch in the dehydrator at 10:30 pm and it was ready at 8 am. That is it! You should get about 8 slices.

This bread has a great flavor..you cant really taste the onion that much at all, but it really helps to keep it moist. The nutritional yeast really compliments the bread and gives it a yummy cheezy flavor.

  • Make veggie sandwiches – use avo and tomato slices, lettuce and organic mustard  - can you say YUM!
  • Use it as a side to your huge raw salads!
  • Eat it as a snack!

I feel this is a great go-to raw snack/food item to have on hand. One day I am gonna make all 9 dehydrator trays full of this stuff. But I need the super large 12 cup food processor! Hubby do you read my blog? Cuz that would be a super romantic surprise present! (HAHA)

Have a great day!

8 comments:

bitt said...

this sounds pretty awesome! i think i will give it a try.

HiHoRosie said...

Me too! I'm hoping to do some dehydrating in the next day or two so I hope to do this too. Thanks for sharing!

crunchyveganwifelife said...

Brillant post Raw!!!!
It sounds delicious!!!
Hugs

Alisha said...

That looks really yummy! I love flatbreads and I am always looking for more great ideas on making them. I posted a recipe of a soft wrap that I made on my blog a couple days ago. I love how versatile these raw breads are! And it is so nice to be able to eat a sandwich. Mmmmmmm! Thanks for the recipe. :)

TheFitnessFreak said...

Thanks for this great recipe Judy! I'm always looking for a new bread. My favorite is the onion bread from Rawvolution. The downside to that bread is the awful breath it causes ; ) Thanks for this alternative!

Anonymous said...

Definitely trying this recipe, thanks :-)

blessedmama said...

Soooo healthy. Wonderful post. I need more of this good stuff in my body.

GM JuJu said...

That looks yummy. I stay away from regular bread because it's horrible for you.

Btw, just noticed you stopped taking fish oil. You really shouldn't. Even if you don't think it's helping you, you should be having it regardless.

Our bodies need it and flax sucks as a source of Omega-3s.